It’s the start of a new academic year and you’ve had just about enough time to settle in. You and your mates a keen for something exciting and you just want to “let loose”. Well that’s exactly what Loose Change Events has on offer this weekend with its fourth edition ‘Peachy Beach’. If you’re a first year, Peachy Beach is a Kenton Beach Party which offers an amazing setting, good music and all around fun time. It’s a day spent with friends, filled with shots, sunshine and sea breeze, all for a good cause.
This year, Loose Change will be collecting clothes from everyone buying tickets and these will be donated to various charities in order to help the homeless tackle the tough winters of Grahamstown.
For those of you yet to experience the magic of ‘Partying with a Purpose’ at Peachy Beach, here are 10 do’s and don’ts to help you keep cool in the summer sun with your mates.
- SUNSCREEN. No, seriously. Wear sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays, and make sure that you get a nice yellowish peach tone and not the aggressive red peach colour. Reapply every 30 minutes.
- Remember that this is an environmentally friendly event, so no glass and be sure to pick up any mess you may make.
- Make sure you bring other clothes, including a warm jersey or top for the cool evening.
- Remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. That 5l doesn’t need to go all at once. Also, passing out on the beach is not a good time.
- If you’re going to skinny dip (or swim), don’t do it alone. For real, the sea is not your mate, mate.
- Adding on to the previous point, if you’re going to swim, or if you have the kind of mates that will drag/throw you into the water, bring a towel along. Towels also help to get pesky sand out of funny places – chafe also does not make for quality banter.
- Keep an eye on your belongings. In your tequila soaked haze, you will more than likely forget which dune your phone is buried under, so keep your possessions close. Avoid the inevitably awkward phone call home telling your parents that you’ve lost another phone. No, not the one from Daisies, the other one.
- Sex on the beach? Probably not worth it. (Unless it’s the cocktail, in which case, fair. Also, #noragrets)
- Keep an eye on the time, and be certain where to meet your transport back to G-Vegas and when said transport is leaving. Don’t be that guy that has to sleep on the peachy beach because you got left hella behind.
- Be lakka.
If you don’t have tickets (bruh? y u do dis?) and this has inflamed your FOMO to the point of no return, and if you too, would like to flourish by walking off into the Kenton sunset with friends and likeable acquaintances, tickets will be available at the door.